NEW DELHI, November 3: Delhi government today approved an estimate of around Rs 11 crore to scrap the controversial Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) corridor in South Delhi built by the previous Sheila Dikshit dispensation for around Rs 150 crore to encourage public transport.
In July this year, the Arvind Kejriwal government had taken decision to dismantle the 5.8 km-long corridor from Ambedkar Nagar to Moolchand.
"Delhi Cabinet has approved a proposal to scrap the BRT corridor at a cost of around Rs 11 crore," said a senior government official.
The official also said that PWD has been given task to scrap the controversial corridor and the agency will soon float tenders to choose a company to dismantle the corridor.
According to the government official, Delhi BRT model "failed" but it was necessary to regulate traffic and strengthen public transport.
The existing BRT corridor faced severe criticism since its inception in 2008 but then Chief Minister Dikshit had strongly defended the project.
The BJP had also demanded scrapping of the BRT corridor and had promised to dismantle it in its vision document for the Delhi assembly polls earlier this year.